History of St. Paul United Methodist Church
IN THE BEGINNING.......
In the Spring of 1888 several families, following their religious inclinations and acting on the invitation of Mrs. R.E. Montgomery, began to hold Sunday School and prayer meetings at her home on what is now the corner of Pine and Myrtle Streets.
This group continued to grow in number and interest until need for a church soon became apparent. Mr. Thomas A. Pannell gave a tract of land on Myrtle Street. Myrtle Street Methodist Church was built on this site and the numbers continued to grow.
In 1908, this church was abandoned and a new location (grounds and building) on Grove Street was purchased. The name of the church was changed to St. Paul Methodist Church.
On April 6, 1936, a tornado completely demolished this church building. The only items found from the church were a silver loving cup and the pulpit which are now in the Anglers Sunday School classroom at the present church.
A lot adjoining the Gainesville High School was purchased and a ground breaking ceremony was held on May 7, 1937. While the new church was being built, the members met in the Gainesville High School. The congregation assembled in the new building September 26, 1937, for the first service.
Due to the increasing membership in 1947, St. Paul began to raise money to build more Sunday School facilities. In 1955, the new annex was dedicated. During the years 1960-1964, another annex was added. In 1986, plans were being made to purchase more property. On January 31, 1993, St. Paul consecrated our new addition to the building, with a new sanctuary to be added later.
St. Paul UMC has continued to grow at the corner of Washington and Academy Streets. The church has recently completed a new sanctuary, fellowship hall, kitchen, restrooms, classrooms and the remodeling of the entire facility including landscaping.
[This brief history is from the UMW cookbook "Feeding Our Flock" published in the late 1990's.]